You’ll need help. There’s just no getting around it. This is a big job! Although we can do some pretty hard things… doing it alone just doesn’t make sense.
- Take people up on their offers. Many will find out you’re moving and say “Let me know how I can help.” Jot their name down. Make sure you have a way to contact them. Look at your help list from time to time and divvy up the appropriate jobs. You may need help: babysitting, cleaning, driving a second vehicle, moral support… Once you find something, let them help.
- Hire out work. If your house is on the market now might be a good time to let someone mow your lawn or deep clean the rooms you’ve finished boxing up.
- Make a list of family and friends with trucks and those that have talked about getting a gym membership. You’ll need them.
- If you have control over your move out/in dates try to be mindful of days when you’ll have more help available to you. Holidays can be tough but weekends are better for most.
- Another idea is to get recommendations from friends about moving companies they have used in the past. If your friends have limited experience with moving then start check out reputable companies online. Several are mentioned on this website, specifically the researching page.